Accident investigation is a highly specialised and time critical task involving expertise in a wide range of disciplines – and skilled accident investigators are pivotal to the Commission's successful performance.
We advertise staff vacancies on this page and on a number of other sites relevant to the positions required.
In general, key competencies and capabilities for accident investigation include:
- strong problem solving skills
- an ability to anticipate and identify risks/issues and identify possible solutions
- strong communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- being skilled at developing logically sound arguments
- analytical with very strong attention to detail and accuracy
- project management skills
- emotional and psychological maturity to handle stressful and emotionally difficult situations
- diplomacy, tact and the ability to relate to a wide range of people.
While a relevant investigative qualification is desirable, specialist training is provided.
A typical job description for a Transport Accident Investigation Commission Investigator is available at right in the Document downloads box.
Only people with the right to work in New Zealand may apply. For advice on obtaining a New Zealand work or residence visa visit www.immigration.govt.nz